Monday, November 1, 2010

Kellogg Interview

I am approaching this as a quick top of mind post with the idea that I'll post more in the next couple of days. Since I just completed my Kellogg interview today, I wanted to give my quick thoughts.

First, my interview was with an admissions committee member. Some of the others interviewing today did have theirs with second year students. It's interesting to think which is better. Though I have a few thoughts on this topic, they're just that: my thoughts. At the end of the day I never felt like I connected well with my interviewer. She was friendly and conversational but seemed more business like in the approach. This may just be my read and partially a result of my thought that she actually interviewed me last year as well which didn't help to calm my nerves. Further, some of the questions she asked seemed to be worded awkwardly (the leadership on in particular). Again, it could have been the way I understand or reacted to the question but it did just come out a bit odd which sort of dictates how you answer the question. Again, I'm sure it's fine but just a bit of an odd feeling to it. I think I was able to turn it around although I never got the sense that I was as structured as I had hoped to be. Hopefully this is just my initial reaction and once I reflect a bit more I'll have a better feeling of the whole experience. However, it's easy to say my Tuck interview was much stronger. It's also important to note that the interview is only one component of the whole process and I'm confident I did express several strong components of my candidacy. At this point, it's all speculation and I'm just hoping for another interview or two to refine my skills.

1 comment:

  1. If it was a business-like interview, it could've just been her personality and have no reflection on how well you did.

    And it's true that practice makes perfect -- the first few interviews can seem a bit awkward until you get the hang of it. I'm sure you did better than you think you did.

    Would you share your experience with others on Accepted's Interview Database? It would really help others prep for their interviews...and you could win an Amazon.com gift certificate!

    Here's the link -- http://www.accepted.com/mba/interviews/search.asp?bhcp=1

    Thanks and good luck!

    Sarah P.
    www.accepted.com

    ReplyDelete