Monday, November 22, 2010

Booth Interview Complete

After my Chicago Booth interview I'm feeling pretty confident. That is, until I begin to think that UCLA and Haas are still silent. Not to dwell on the negative, but I realize there's nothing else I can do at this point in relation to Chicago Booth except wait for the decision to be rendered. I'm still hopefully that I'll have an interview with at least one of the two and MJ Shores (UCLA Director of Admissions) tweeted that invites should pick up.

However, this post is focused on the Booth interview. My day began with a class which was entertaining but very small (a positive in my eyes). It was an economics course on emerging markets. The class was engaging and a mix of lecture and case discussion. Overall, I walked away with a positive experience similar to my previous 3 class visits at Booth. I skipped the prescribed admissions events to meet with friends that are 1st and 2nd year students. These were helpful conversations to calm my nerves, get an insider's perspective and provided more materials to reference in my interview.

The interview itself was short and to the point. The 2nd year who interviewed me has several similar characteristics to my background and, in my opinion, were able to develop a good report and fall into a good conversation. As for the questions, vaguely and in no particular order:

- Walk me through your resume, which led to the natural break in my job/long term/short term goals and...
- Why an MBA? Why now? Why Booth?
- What do you hope to accomplish and learn while at Booth? What will you do to be involved?
- What's a weakness?
- Some more on my extra curriculars
- Any questions for her

Overall, it was a smooth conversation. I wonder if I included enough information around my background, specific skill set and what I bring to the class. I think I made some solid points and was able to demonstrate my interest in the program and that it's near/at the top of my school list. This to me was the most important part of the interview (hopefully they agree). With all that, I'm fairly confident but we'll see.

If anyone has specific questions about the interview, I'm happy to answer so just shoot me a message. Hope others enjoyed their Booth interview experience and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment