Monday, January 17, 2011

Taking Stock

Now that I've had a couple of days to digest last week, I've come to one conclusion. Although I'm thrilled with the acceptance to UCLA, I'm ready to press Haas for an acceptance. Don't get me wrong, I feel fortunate to be in this position with an admit to a great program that I am excited to attend. However, for my career aspirations and expectations for MY MBA program, Haas is my top choice. With that said, it's time to be extra critical on myself. Now only must I question all the minute details of my application and why I was close but not quite thrust over that threshold, but also, I must be realistic in what I can do to make a difference. It's not difficult to be critical of oneself during this process. I find it's much more difficult to be confident in what to do next, or more importantly, what I can do to make a difference. The email from Haas outlines a number of potential improvements to anyone's candidacy. I'm now in the process of defining which ones to emphatically attack. When I know a bit more, I'll be sure to test my theories here. In the mean time, if anyone else has experience with this, I welcome your input!

2 comments:

  1. First, congrats on the the UCLA acceptance and for getting on the Haas waitlist -- with the right moves, you'll likely get to make the final decision between the two.

    Accepted.com offers a number of resources to help waitlistees increase their chances of becoming acceptees.

    Here are a few:
    * MBA Admissions: MBA Wait-List Letter Tips - (http://www.accepted.com/mba/waitlist.aspx).
    * There are also a number of relevant Q&A transcripts - (www.accepted.com/chat/transcripts) that should be useful.
    * There's also the popular ebook, "The Nine Mistakes You Don't Want to Make on an MBA Waitlist" (http://www.accepted.com/Ecommerce/MBAWait/MBAWaitList.aspx) -- the book is loaded with important tips--what to do, what not to do, etc to help boost your chances of getting in off the waitlist.

    We'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

    Sarah P.
    www.accepted.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, Thank you for the congrats. I'm thrilled by the acceptance and waitlist. Of course, now that I'm this close to Haas I really want it.

    These resources are very helpful. As I begin to craft my letter and determine next steps I'm definitely taking advantage of this information. It's always great to begin with an example, rather that starting from scratch. If you have any more specific tips regarding my situation in particular, I'd be more than willing to discuss.

    Thanks again for following my blog and all the tips along the way.

    ReplyDelete