Sunday, January 30, 2011

Saturdays are for practice tests

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure how I'm feeling about this whole GMAT part 2. Yesterday was a particularly rough day. The week before I had pushed myself hard to relearn the material and strategies from ManhattanGMAT. I took their course initially and can confidently say they were a big part of why I was able to achieve a 700 on the test. So I went back to them. Instead of retaking the 9 week course, which wouldn't help me complete my studying and the test before Haas' round 2 deadline, I am retaking it online. That means watching the class recordings and following along with the strategy books. I've also done some additional problems, but given the grueling schedule I've set for myself, that's the piece I'm neglecting a bit until I get through all the strategy/class material. So after just 1 calendar week, I've reached my goal of getting through roughly 4 weeks of the 9 week course. Yup, that's right. It was a bit overwhelming but I made it. This culminated in a practice test on Saturday morning.

Going into it, I felt pretty confident. Coming out of it, not so much. Though my score increased ~20 percentile points, it only improved by 20 points. The verbal went up a bit; the quant saw a dramatic improvement. However, it was enough to vault me close to my initial 700 and way off the map for my goal of the mid700s.

It was a bit defeating. However, now is the time to double down on my bet. Really push myself. I'm still confident in my strategy. The last time I studied, the most impactful piece was actually doing and learning practice problems. Therefore the classes and content are just the precursor to success. At least that's what I'm trying to tell myself....

No comments:

Post a Comment