Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Reapplicant

It's about time I start working on my reapplicant essay, you know the one where I saw here's ALLLL the amazing things I've done to further myself as a candidate, and more importantly, a person since we (adcom and I) last spoke. This always seemed pretty formulaic to me for some reason. You gave me feedback (or didn't depending on the school) which came down to four areas: essays/career goals, involvement/leadership, quant abilities and GMAT. Out of those categories, I decided to work on 3. I left the GMAT alone as I had a 700 (90th percent) with roughly an even split with both above the magic 80th percentile that seems so critical. So that's the outline for the essay. Now it's just plugging stuff in, right? Wrong as usual. I'm once again overthinking it and trying to word each achievement or piece perfectly. Instead, I should just block an hour and bang it our (remember my earlier post on this, just get it on paper then edit, much easier).

With this in mind, here we go:

Goals/Essays - worked hard but also talked to lots of students and alumni to understand what the life is actually like. Through this I learned more about the schools and career path I'm hoping to achieve (please see essay 1). It solidified my interest in the career and school since all your alumni are amazing at continuing the dialogue and explaining the positives and negatives of their choices.

Involvement/Leadership - this is the place I have the most fodder: joined two sports leagues (an old passion), took on nearly double the number of client assignments which forced me to become a project leader, was more client/market facing over the past year, developed several large internal projects (one global in scope), joined another volunteer activity (great cause my friend introduced me to), became much more involved in my undergrad alumni association (including two new events linking current students with alumni to create a local mentorship network), couple more things I believe but you get the idea

Quant - took an online math for management course and earned an A-; ok, not the A I was aiming for but considering all the distractions, I guess it'll do

So there, now I have it and just need to plug into essay format. Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment